What is the Good Food Club?
The Good Food Club (GFC) works to empower its members to eat healthier, gain new skills and build community. Based in West Broadway, it has been a leading food security initiative for over almost 15 years. GFC was created and is managed through direct community engagement, tailoring initiatives and adjusting in response to the interests and needs of its members.
From field to table, Good Food Club members are engaged in their own food security. Through farm trips, members learn to grow food while helping a local farm supply GFC’s farmers market. In both the summer and winter markets, volunteer members help supply affordable vegetables, fruit, meat and cheese to their community. Cooking classes help members turn market items into healthy meals for their families. Workshops offer development of skills, such as canning, bread making, food safety, and first aid. Our children’s programs invite youth to take first steps toward preparing their own meals
Members gain skills that improve their quality of life and their employability. GFC’s volunteer rewards program gives members “sweat equity points” which they can redeem for healthy foods. The Good Food Club creates economic and social connections through activities that instill both a sense of possibility and shared responsibility.
Over the past four years, membership has more than quadrupled to over 1100 and participation in GFC events has more than doubled. Please consider joining the culture of giving back to your community by supporting GFC as it continue to grow and find remarkable success.
The Good Food Club Mini Market is starting October 26th!
This indoor market is brought to you by the Good Food Club. It is an affordable place to buy affordable foods, crafts, etc. The Market will run every second Wednesday from October 26/16 – mid June from 3:00-6:00pm. We are located in the gymnasium inside Broadway Neighbourhood Centre (185 Young Street).
Want to become a vendor at the market? contact us today!
The Good Food Club wants YOUR opinion!
Please help us better serve our members by filling out this survey today! It only takes five minutes and all submissions will remain anonymous.
The Good Food Club is well into its fall/winter season. That means indoor Mini Markets, Commmunity Dinners, Workshops, Walking Club, and more events right here in West Broadway! Take a look at our events calendars to see what is happening in the coming months:
GFC_March 2017_calendar to print
GFC_February 2017_calendar to print
gfc_november-2016_calendar to print
gfc_october-2016_calendar to print
GFC_August 2016_calendar to print
GFC_May 2016_calendar to print
The Good Food Club was featured on CTV Morning Live recently! Click here to see the video
Check out the Good Food Club on Shaw TV:
What Does the Good Food Club Do?
- Good Food Club Mini Market and Good Food Box pickup every second Wednesday
- community cafes (small community dinners)
- large community dinners (twice a year)
- free monthly educational workshops
- free monthly community cooking classes
- Kids Cooking Program
- fresh food boxes in the winter months
- for those seeking strictly all natural/organic options, contact Fresh Options Food Box Program: http://freshoption.ca/
- we have made some changes to our Good Food Box program in the last year. The Good Food Club is now a depot for the Winnipeg Food Share Coop! You can order your box from us, they will be assembled by the Winnipeg Foodshare Coop, and then delivered to us where you can pick them up and pay for them! Click here to order your box!
- weekly trips to the Buys Home Farm: June – September
- West Broadway Farmers’ Market every Wednesday in July-September
- educational field trips to other local farms
- berry-picking trips
- Kids Cooking Program
Becoming a Good Food Club Member:
Option 1. Order your membership online and receive membership card in the mail.
Option 2. Print off your membership form here and mail or drop it off at 608 Broadway.
Option 3. Drop by 608 Broadway in person and apply.
Option 4. Ailene for more information: 204-774-7201 ext. 6
Please donate to the Good Food Club:
You can make a donation to the Good Food Club any time by clicking on the Donate button below! THANKS
55% of families and 70% of individuals live below the poverty line in West Broadway and struggle to afford healthy food.
* With your investment we can help others help themselves!
We are an award winning program that helps low income inner city residents help themselves by farming together, cooking together and sharing food together
Active/low income members “work” for their food by volunteering in exchange for sweat equity points.
What does the Good Food Club do?
– delivers fresh food boxes to people in need
– feeds residents at community dinners
– provides 1 ton of fresh local produce at our summer “veggie van” market
– offer food handling skills development to inner city residents
Become a Supporting Member today for only $25
Organizational/ business memberships $50
*Donations of $10 – $500 needed!
i.e. a donation of $50 will buy: one box of fresh food for an inner city family for a month, or feed 8 low income people at our community dinner.
Charitable tax receipts issued
Need more info, contact Good Food Club Coordinator at 774-7201 ext #6
Good Food Club Video
In partnership with the University of Manitoba Environmental Studies program, students worked with members of the Good Food Club to create a video: