West Broadway Community Members, you are invited to the West Broadway Community Organization (WBCO) 2017 Annual General Meeting!
Tuesday, May 16, 2017
6:00 pm – 7:30 pm
Gordon Bell High School (Multi-Purpose Room)
Refreshments will be provided
WBCO’s Board of Directors is made up of West Broadway community members who work with staff, volunteers, local organizations, businesses and government in a grass-roots effort to reinforce West Broadway’s livability and diversity. This is a community-led effort to preserve and augment the many things about West Broadway that make it Winnipeg’s most vibrant and cosmopolitan neighbourhood.
There will be two important activities taking place at the AGM:
- The election of new members to the Board of Directors. We invite community members interested in serving on the Board to put their names forward. The nominations process is governed by WBCO’s bylaws, a complete copy of which is available by contacting WBCO staff at 774-7201 (ext. 1) or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that our bylaws do not allow for nominations from the floor, therefore there is no provision to nominate Board Members at the AGM.
A person must live, work, or volunteer in the West Broadway Neighbourhood to be eligible to nominate, or be nominated to the Board of Directors. (Self-nominations are welcome!) Board Members are committed to advancing the goals and policies of WBCO, participate in monthly board meetings, have an active participation on at least one standing committee, and represent WBCO at community events.
The nominating committee requests that all potential Board candidates write a short letter or email indicating why they are interested in serving on the Board, and what skills and experience they bring to this volunteer position. If you or someone you know is interested in participating but would prefer not to write, please drop by WBCO offices at 608 Broadway for a short introduction. Providing current contact information is also helpful.
As per our bylaws, in order to be accepted, nominations must be received no later than Wednesday, April 26, and may be dropped off or mailed to:
Board of West Broadway Community Organization – 608 Broadway – Winnipeg, MB – R3C 0W8 – or email email@example.com
- The amendment of WBCO’s existing bylaws – to remove confusing language and clarify the role of WBCO’s Governance/Board Development Committee. Members interested in reviewing the proposed changes are asked to click on this link – 2017 Proposed Bylaw Changes or pick up a hard copy at 608 Broadway by emailing a request to firstname.lastname@example.org
See you at the AGM!
WBCO Board of Directors
We are grateful to the hundreds of local residents, businesses, organizations, institutions, facilities, landlords, and service providers who gave their time and perspective to help create a new Five Year Community Plan for West Broadway. Launched October 25, 2016 this plan will guide community stakeholders in efforts to preserve the things about West Broadway that we all appreciate and to change the things that need to be changed. For more information and a PDF copy of the plan, click HERE.
Are you interested in hearing about local events and issues? Please subscribe to our email address by contacting us at email@example.com
On behalf of this project, Westminster Housing Society submitted an application to Manitoba Housing for development funds earlier this year. We are eagerly awaiting their decision and look forward to providing further updates on this effort as soon as possible. In the meantime, in anticipation of development, WBCO can no longer support gardening efforts on this property and we ask for your patience as this important transition continues.
Our third and final application deadline for the 2016 Small Grants season is Tuesday, September 20th. Please see the Small Grants page for details.
Below is a link to the West Broadway Active Transportation Survey we have launched in conjunction with West Broadway’s 5 Year Community Plan.
We would love your input! Please take a couple minutes and fill out this short survey. All answers will be considered confidential, no personal identities are to be recorded.
Click here to complete the survey.
Last week, WBCO changed the date of our annual general meeting from June 21 to June 23. We did this because we had inadvertently chosen June 21 as our meeting date without remembering that this is also National Aboriginal Day, a Canada-wide celebration of the cultures and contributions of First Nations, Inuit and Métis peoples. We apologize for this mistake and offer our respect, gratitude, and solidarity to Indigenous peoples both within our organization and across the country.
With that, please join WBCO in celebrating National Aboriginal Day on June 21. The following are some of the Winnipeg-based events we are aware of (watch local listings for more announcements over the coming weeks!):
- The Indian and Metis Friendship Centre is hosting an event at North Centennial Rec Centre (90 Sinclair St) It’s free of charge and runs from 10:30 am – 3:30 pm. For details please call 204 698 6881
- Aboriginal Seniors Resource Centre Inc is hosting a National Aboriginal Day Powwow from 12 – 4pm. For details call 204 586 4595.
- Founding Nations hosts an annual pow wow event at The Forks to showcase the beauty and styles of dances from aboriginal communities in Manitoba Founding Nations Pow Wow 1:30 pm – Location: The Canopy – Free admission
- Indigenous Food Sovereignty Summit 2016 – Dates: June 21, 22, and 23, 2016 – Location: Canad Inns Destination Centre Club Regent Casino Hotel – For registration or more information: www.localandjust.com
- APTN Aboriginal Day Live – June 25 – Location: Forks Festival Stage – 10-year anniversary of Aboriginal Day Live! Canada’s largest celebration of National Aboriginal Day. For more information – www.aboriginaldaylive.ca
The WBCO Annual General Meeting will be held:
Thursday, June 23 2016
6 pm – 8 pm
Gordon Bell High School, Multipurpose Room
A light supper will be provided
All are welcome!
NEW Five-Year Plan for West Broadway
If you live, work, or play in West Broadway we need your perspective and ideas for how to maintain and improve our beloved community. Over the next two months we will be holding community meetings, focus groups, and asking community members to fill out surveys so we can compile and develop a new five-year plan for West Broadway. Please take a few minutes to fill out a survey on line or drop us a line and we’ll drop off a printed copy for you to fill out.
This survey is open for everyone connected to West Broadway. It should take about 10 minutes, and your answers are completely confidential. You can forward this survey to other people who may be interested. Comments or concerns can be sent to the West Broadway Community Organization 608 Broadway Avenue, or call 204-774-7201
LINK TO SURVEY – www.surveymonkey.com/r/
West Broadway Farmer’s Market
Soon you will once again be able to purchase all your favourite locally grown vegetables at the West Broadway Farmer’s Market. The first outdoor market of the schedule of the season is scheduled for Wednesday, July 6th, in the Broadway Neighbourhood Centre Courtyard (185 Young St.).
WBCO recently partnered with United Way and the University of Winnipeg’s Institute of Urban Studies (IUS) to develop a tool that can help organizations and individuals measure the overall quality and liveability of rental housing units. Housing Quality Index Tool was created as an easy-to-use assessment tool for gauging housing quality, specifically in rooming houses and single room occupancy long-stay hotels. Please follow this link for more information on this innovative initiative. WBCO and the IUS will be co-hosting a free training and information sharing session on the HQI tool in March 2016 (date TBA), please contact WBCO Housing Initiatives Coordinator, Leah Goertzen if you are interested in attending: firstname.lastname@example.org
WBCO has been inching closer to launching the development of 198 Sherbrook St after several years of consultation and planning. The proposed development will include 18 units of mixed income rental housing, a commercial space on the main floor, and if all goes according to plan, a four season green house on the second floor roof (as shown in the rendering above). WBCO and our development partners Westminster Housing Society are currently raising funds for this development and we hope to have shovels in the ground by Summer of 2016. Stay tuned for more updates on this exciting neighbourhood development.