West Broadway has a total of 26 compost bins at 6 sites throughout the neighbourhood. Community members are welcome to drop off their organic waste at these sites, which are maintained by West Broadway Community Organization’s compost coordinator and volunteers. Harvested compost helps maintain fertile soil for our community gardens and orchards.
Download a printable map:
Tips for Community Composting
- Chop large food waste into smaller pieces.
- Add a scoop of leaves from the leaf bin.
- No meat, dairy products, bones, or oils.
- No compostable bags (they make our bins really smelly!) or cups/dishware (they need industrial systems to break down).
- Post this useful resource on your fridge: What Can I Compost?
To learn more about composting activities in West Broadway, view the reports below or visit the West Broadway Community Gardens Facebook page.