West Broadway has a total of 28 community compost bins at 8 sites throughout the neighbourhood.
View Map Here: compost bin map 2012
Community composting in West Broadway was featured on CKUW on May 6th. Listen to the interview online.
Tips for Community Composting
- No bags or other compostable plastics please – they don’t break down in our bins, and make things really smelly!
- No meat, dairy products, bones, or oils
- Cover your waste with a handful of leaves from the leaf bin
- Chop your waste into smaller pieces so that it breaks down more quickly
- Post this useful resource on your fridge: What Can I Compost?
Need a Compost Bin?
We build and install compost bins free of charge for apartment buildings in West Broadway, and provide resources to help residents learn about composting. We also build bins for businesses and homeowners for a small fee. Contact our Compost Coordinator for more information about these programs.
June – Compost bin building workshop
December, 2012 – Green Holidays – a Waste Reduction Workshop
November, 2012 – Winter Composting Workshop, Community Compost Site Construction with Ernst & Young Volunteers
October, 2012 – Master Composter Course
August, 2012 – Vermicomposting Workshop
June, 2012 – Backyard Composting Workshop
May, 2012 – Apartment Composting Launch: Greenheart Housing Co-op